Tuesday 14 August 2018

What's the problem with comprehension?

Comprehension: understanding, the act of grasping with the intellect.

Some people seem to be rather lacking in this area, and either completely misunderstand (whether deliberately or out of ignorance I don't know) what they read. Or just ignore it and pretend it said something else.

I have posted previously on why adults having sex with children is wrong. In response, I received messages from people who also think sex with children is wrong telling me I am a pervert, sick, and other similar descriptions.

One conversation went something like this:

Me: Sex with kids is wrong
Them: How can you say that? Children can't consent to sex!
Me: Exactly; the adult should always say "no".
Them: But, but, it's WRONG!

Or when I pointed out that an adult having sex with a child could seriously harm the child (blindingly obvious if you think about it), that made me a predator, a cockroach, and suchlike.

I remember one blogger who posted, as I do, that people who abuse children should be punished and referred to a recent case where an abuser had been imprisoned. I responded in agreement. The response was to block me.

I wonder if these people actually hate children as much as, or more than, they hate paedophiles (for whatever odd definition of paedophile they use)? I'm quite sure that some of them will abuse their children.

They seem to have some sort of mental block that prevents them from seeing when someone agrees with them. I'm sure it would be fascinating to a psychologist. Would it be some sort of persecution complex, that they must have someone to disagree with?

On the other hand, it might be that they are simply of low intelligence and limited vocabulary and unable to grasp that "don't have sex with kids" doesn't actually mean "have sex with kids".

Most of them are probably harmless, but I can't help worry what the result would be if their misunderstanding caused a child to be harmed.

Responses from any psychologists will be welcome!

No comments: